Information Technology Specialist
Careers with the Transportation Security Administration
Information Technology Specialist
Department Of Homeland Security
Transportation Security Administration
At the Transportation Security Administration, you will serve in a high-stakes environment to safeguard the American way of life. In cities across the country, you would secure airports, seaports, railroads, highways, and/or public transit systems, thus protecting America's transportation infrastructure and ensuring freedom of movement for people and commerce.
This Information Technology (IT) Specialist (INFOSEC) position is located in the Information Assurance and Cyber Security Division, Computer Network Security Operations Branch, Office of Information Technology (OIT), Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Department of Homeland Security (DHS). If selected for this position, you will serve as a Senior IT Specialist (Security) (Command Duty Officer) and Principal Technical Specialist under the minimal direction of the Chief of the Computer Network Defense Section. You will provide oversight to members of the team that serves as the agency's designated government operation providing oversight for the Security Operations Center (SOC) services provided to TSA under contract. Typical duties include:
- Providing direction and oversight to SOC services which include ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of systems, networks, and data through intelligence collection and analysis, the aggregation and analysis of data from IT security devices, the analysis and triage of detected security events, and coordinating the response to validated security events.
- Monitoring the SOC contractor IT activity and compliance with TSA and Federal IT regulations, policies and procedures, and is responsible for responding to requests for Government approval for certain IT issues from the SOC and is on call during his/her non-duty on a 24 hour, 7 days a week basis. Serving as an authoritative source of information and expertise for the Section Chief on a myriad of critical network security and IT Security subject matters.
- Providing authoritative guidance to the TSA IT security program operations that includes reviewing proposed changes to rule sets, signature sets, software versions, configurations and other characteristics which might impact the manner in which the technologies perform. Serving as a mentor to junior analysts assisting them in their investigations, providing technical tips, investigative direction and peer reviews.
· Participating in the development and evaluation of network changes, including large-scale migrations, ensuring that the network designs incorporate IT security devices that have sufficient resources, proper placement, and proper configuration to adequately protect the system. Participating in the testing and validation of IT security devices, and managing some projects in which the SOC is heavily involved.
· Providing technical assistance on budget issues relating to IT security and researching and defending IT Security budgets. Implementing and maintaining standard operating procedures (SOP), reports, and related documentation.
Specialized experience needed for the position includes:
For the SV-J Band Level:
· Providing guidance to IT security programs to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of systems, networks and data through intelligence collection and analysis, the aggregation and analysis of data from IT security devices;
· Managing and maintaining the daily operations of a Security Operations Center (SOC);
· Applying comprehensive knowledge of the technologies used to monitor the security of a network, and analyzing device logs and packet captures in order to remediate identified deficiencies such as reviewing proposed changes to rule sets, signature sets, software versions, and configurations; and
· Conducting assessments of planned installed information systems to identify vulnerabilities, risks, and protection needs.
Note: This is a standing inventory. Qualified candidates will receive consideration as vacancies become available. Applications received by ll:59 PM EST on Wednesday, January 23, 2013, will be considered first. Applications received after Wednesday, January 23th will be considered as vacancies become available. Applications will be accepted until December 31, 2013.
This vacancy will be filled through DHS/TSA's Direct-Hire Authority. Under the Direct-Hire Authority, category grouping and Veterans' Preference does not apply.
Make a world of difference to the traveling public and protect our nation’s transportation infrastructure. Join our team and help TSA secure freedom of movement. You’ll receive competitive compensation and all Federal benefits, including a variety of health insurance options, retirement plan, flexible work schedules and more.